Bolivia

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Sucre

Caught the plane this morning to Sucre. If you need an adrenalin rush first thing in the morning, that´s the flight! Coming in to land all you can see are jagged peaks, valleys etc and you wonder how the hell anywhere up front can be somewhere flat enough to land. Some of the guys from yesterday´s event were on the plane too so when we arrived in Sucre we were all picked up by Diego in his 4WD. Haven´t mentioned that, nearly every motor is a 4x4.

I was dropped off at my hotel and had zero idea what to do with myself. However, that was taken out of my hands cos the altitude suddenly got to me and so I had a cup of coca mate (ma-tay) and then basically keeled over! Getting up two days running at 6am hasn´t done me any favours on top of the journey anyway so sleeping wasn´t a bad idea. Was woken up by reception saying some woman was looking for me. I wish I´d just told them I don´t know anyone. I reckon it was some sort of scam but was too fuzzy headed to really think about it. Went back to the room, and dozed a bit longer whilst waiting for the dozy guy in reception to bring me another cup of mate. It never appeared, so I´ve come out to look for some food.

Think I might be on a loser here as everything appears to be shut. I can get an egg butty in the hotel so am going back there. Very light headed and remember feeling exactly like this in the Himalayas, so am going to make the most of it and just read some docs, lie down a lot and see if I can train the guy in the hostal to bring me a cup of tea every hour! Liang will be here tomorrow afternoon and I have no particular desire to get lost in Sucre exploring. Especially when everything is shut anyway! Monday and Tuesday we are driving round these telecentres to see what can be done to extend the coverage from their satellites, and try to help them reach sustainability. They are looking for a cookie cutter project so they can replicate elsewhere. Sound familiar??!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home