Bolivia

Friday, April 22, 2005

Hotel Internacional

So, last night´s post was completely swallowed by something, probably a Poberon, so I´ll start again. :(

I am staying at the Hotel Internacional which has all you could want, ALMOST - gym, pool, wifi, free dial up in the rooms etc. No broadband. I´ve got a suite which has two bathrooms and aircon, thank god, it is so hot!

I still haven´t learnt a great deal about Paraguay but here goes. Everyone in the morning seems to wander around with their mate gourds, and drinks copious quantities of the stuff. The football team yesterday had a bucket, which appears to be a flask full of ice cold water, the gourd and a straw, usually made of silver and ornate. It´s about the most unhygienic habit you can imagine as they all pass the gourd round and share the same straw, but I looked it up on the Net and it is suppçsed to foster a sense of community, so I intend to buy one at the airport and bring it to the next Colloquium! More about how to prepare a mate here - sounds fairly revolting but I might try it at the airport if I can get one, for the experience.

Paraguay doesn´t seem to have really got the tourist bug yet, there are no hotels anywhere near the airport, and in fact, after half an hour´s driving this was the first hotel we came across. There is also a grave shortage of tarmac. The main road is tamracked but every side street I looked down was just a dirt track, even though some of the neighbourhoods seemed quite well to do. Was wanred last night not to go exploring, although the barman offered to take me to look around Asuncion, but jetlag and exhaustion crept in asnd I had to turn down the offer. Aside from the fact there are obviously unsavoury areas of the town, I quite like Paraguay. Any country which can issue a weather warning for intense cold next week when it´s going to be 19 degrees has got something going for it!

I have to mention a sign on the way in from the airport, I still ahven´t worked out what the hell it was about, and am cursing my stupidity at having put the camera in the bag in the boot of the bus as it was a brill photo opportunity. Large yellow warning sign with black edges, a picture of a monster with mainly legs and arms, no head, eyes and grimace in the body, and hairy. The sign said "Warning. Poberon at 60m" Google hasn´t been much help on this one nor was the friendly barman. All comments welcome!

After losing last night´s post, I´m just going to save this and keep going as my bus doesn´t come for another 45mins and I´m packed early.....telling the time will be the next post!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home