Bolivia

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Bolivia generally

Great encyclopedia article on Bolivia

Have found the above article which has a wealth of information and some decent photos.

The plan for the next few days is to chill out today and tomorrow here in Santa Cruz and then go to La Paz on Friday evening. Have been told how to cope with the altitude by a multitude of people. And there's more scary info here! It affects everyone differently apparently, and the hotel I will be staying at is 500m below La Paz which can make quite a big difference. There are some pills which you can get from the chemist so I'll take those before I go. Also, you should eat very light food during the day and nothing at night. Also, the usual, avoid alcohol and fags. Actually, I have been avoiding alcohol pretty much anyway as there is too much to see and do to waste time sitting in bars. However, I must admit that Jorge told me about a local aguardiente from the place he was born and I tried that with 7 up the other night. Now if I could only remember what it was called! Ah yes chuflay when it's a cocktail and the alcohol itself is called Singani. We also had a Huari which is very typical Bolivian beer.

Anyway, the plan is to leave La Paz on Saturday morning and we have a three hour drive to the next project. I have been told that the road to this place is absolutely terrifying so I hope we have a decent driver. Or I'll end up walking! We have to pass a summit of around 5000m first which is going to be a trial but hopefully then the descent will ease the altitude problems, if there are any. It seems it turns tropical quite quickly from this article.

Las Yungas is supposed to be one of the most beautiful parts of Bolivia- valleys between the altiplano and the Amazon basin, tropical jungly sort of stuff. I'm really hoping that this trip won't be as madly rushed as the others because I really do not want to miss seeing Lake Titicaca too. According to Alberto's dad, it is the highest lake in the world and bearing in mind how far we are from the sea, get this, it's salt water! Anyway, off to upload more photos and send out the email invites which I have just realised I have forgotten to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home